Monday, March 30, 2015

Painful, kind of hilarious, typesetting error in a #PLOSOne paper from my lab - should I try to get it fixed?

Saw this tweet:

So I went and found the paper.

Wu D, Jospin G, Eisen JA (2013) Systematic Identification of Gene Families for Use as “Markers” for Phylogenetic and Phylogeny-Driven Ecological Studies of Bacteria and Archaea and Their Major Subgroups. PLoS ONE 8(10): e77033. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0077033

And discovered what he was pointing to

Then I looked at the Pubmed Central version of the paper and it was the same.  So I wnet and found the arXiv version of the paper and it looked correct.



So apparently, PLOS One somehow replaced "nonmember" with



Brutal.  And even worse, this may have been there all along and I missed it.  So I responded:

And then Michael Hall pointed out another mistake.



Aaargh.  And funny too.  So now the question I guess is - should I fix it? And if so, how do I do that?

1 comment:

  1. Ouch. What file format was this submitted to PLOS as (I'm going to guess not LaTeX), and do you have the original file still to check that?

    ReplyDelete

Most recent post

My Ode to Yolo Bypass

Gave my 1st ever talk about Yolo Bypass and my 1st ever talk about Nature Photography. Here it is ...