Monday, September 01, 2008

Cool Plant Comparative Genomics Resource: Phytozome

I spent the last few days at a "retreat" for the Joint Genome Institute and heard about a few things there worth sharing with everyone. I will try and post about some of them in the next few days. Here is one. The JGI and the Center for Integrative Genomics have made a pretty cool tool for comparative analyses of plant genomes. It is called Phytozome and has a variety of simple and nice features. JGI is doing more and more work on plant genomes as part of their energy research and I think Phytozome could turn into a good place to go to get the latest plant genome information. Go to http://www.phytozome.net to see the real thing.

3 comments:

  1. That's a really nice resource! Great interface, too. Looking fwd to reading the paper describing the clustering algorithm. Is it distance-based?

    A similar tool is OrthologID that uses a character-based phylogenetic framework to establish orthology.

    Chiu et al. (2006) OrthologID: automation of genome-scale ortholog identification within a parsimony framework. Bioinformatics 22(6):699-707. [free full text]

    ReplyDelete
  2. dont know any more --- just posted the information about it --- I am not involved in making it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, clustering of extant genes to get ancient genome data, and all in one site! I'm sure this will be a great resource for my work. I also love the data retrieval service BioMart at Phytozome.

    ReplyDelete

Most recent post

My Ode to Yolo Bypass

Gave my 1st ever talk about Yolo Bypass and my 1st ever talk about Nature Photography. Here it is ...